Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Snack Addict's Guide to Taiwan (May 5-8 '12; Taipei, Taiwan)


The second stop of my trip: Taiwan. I've never been here before but I’ve always enjoyed their food. To me, Taiwan almost seems like a mandarin version of Japan since they also have many cute things. This might also be because of Japan’s occupation in Taiwan in history. But let’s not get into history…

Right off the plane, we were heading for food. First, I’ll talk about the best donuts I’ve had in my life. I’m not much of a bread/dough person, so donuts don’t exactly tempt me. These ones, on top of being a bread-type food, were also ridiculously cute. Pretty-looking things never tended to taste good, that has been my opinion until now. Really should not judge a book by its cover, even if this one was really cute and pretty. And so, at the store called Mister Donut, I tried that best tasting donuts of all time. In cute shapes and colorful varieties, Mister Donut is a donut lover’s paradise. Cute lion donuts are covered in strawberry or chocolate icing. 1CAD is equivalent to 30TWD (Taiwan Dollars), and at 45TWD per donut they’re not the cheapest Taiwanese snacks to buy. You must be thinking, “How is 1CAD per donut NOT cheap?!” Well I need to let you know that food here is abnormally inexpensive. Hence, a dollar a donut actually isn’t the cheapest snack food you could buy. Despite it’s price, I actually ate a donut everyday. The dough of the donut was super chewy and the strawberry lion (which I thought was the best) had a strawberry flavored dough. So yummy! If you ever get the chance to go to Taiwan, definitely go and try a strawberry lion donut from Mister Donut!

Pretty and Tasty Mister Donut

crusin' down the streets of TamSui
We all head over to TamSui District for some serious street-stall snacking. Tamsui is a district by the sea in the Northern part of Taiwan in Taipei. First thing I notice, the street is lined-up with street-stalls calling my name! YUM! Second, the area is actually very pretty, since the open-air market is right along the TamSui River. In such a relaxed environment, I was able to pig-out to my little hearts content. I should start by warning you that if you decide to come and do some serious eating, bring some friends. That way you can try many more food items at once! A skewer of a whole squid, for 2CAD dollars? DONE DEAL. It was also very very delicious. Smelly tofu? Wonderful! Though I might have to mention that Taiwanese smelly tofu is different from that in Hong Kong. It has a less pungent small and they also add some pickled veggies in the middle.

Top: Grilled Squid; Middle: Smelly Tofu; Bottom: Spiral Chips and the Sunset on TamSui River








An interesting snack, the Taiwan Iron Eggs are a must try for many people. They’re named Iron Eggs due to their hard texture. They are either made from quail or chicken eggs. These eggs are repeatedly stewed in soy sauce along with other spices (of which I have no clue are what) until they absorb all the flavors. Though definitely horrible for your cholesterol levels, they are a nice snack with an interesting flavor. They kind of look like Maltesers to me.










And of course, the Taiwanese Sausage. They are absolutely delicious, a must-have when in Taiwan because there just aren’t any other sausages quite like it (hahaha…).

Fishing Fail







Next, heading over to the Guang Zhou St. Tourist Night Market, for more food. Obviously we never get enough. There we got to play a fishing game where you get a net made with paper to try and get a fish. I failed horribly at this game but my friends were much better at it. Since we couldn’t take the fish home with us, we set them free like the good people that we are. A lot more eating here. 


I actually forgot to take a picture of one of my favourite Taiwanese foods: Pork Sauce Rice. A simple dish made of stewed ground pork over rice. It’s also 20TWD a bowl – this is less than a dollar. How can anyone say no to this. This also proves to show that the donut is quite expensive, as I could’ve had 2 bowls of my favourite food for the price of the one donut. Though I can’t say that I regret eating both. Splurging in this fashion? – definitely affordable.
Night Market Shenanigans 

Shaved Ice is a signature dessert to be had in Taiwan. The name explains all, though the ice is flavored, in my case we had a mango shaved ice and a green tea with red bean topping shaved ice. They were both great! The sizes are huge so if you ever decide to go, bring a friend!

great place to cool down in the summer!
Last thing I want to introduce to you: the best cheesecake you’ll ever eat in your life. Though its not actually a Taiwanese delicacy, this is the first time I’ve had it. Uncle Tetsu’s Cheesecake – honestly the best cheesecake I’ve ever eaten. I’m not quite sure if this is a Japanese chain or a Taiwanese company that decided to adopt a Japanese name, but really, at the moment I don’t care. The cakes are so fresh that they make them in batches around every 20mins and you have to line up for it. At first, I was a bit skeptical since I don’t really like Japanese style cheesecakes since they’re usually too ‘cakey’ – as in they’re very bread-y and sponge-y – and I’ve never been much of a fan of that kinda cake.  Though, what should’ve tipped me off is that this cake is the only thing sold at the store, absolutely nothing else is available – and it only comes in one size (18cm). If a store can survive of selling one thing, then really, it has to be good. So after waiting about 15mins we got the cake. The cake was nice and warm in the box. Cutting into the cake was heaven, it was like cutting through fluff, it was so light! The taste? Indescribable – a piece of cake heaven! And at 199TWD a cake? HELL YES! I have hit jackpot, I can now die happy. The cake is not at all sponge-y like normal Japanese cheesecakes, instead it has a light flavor and melts in your mouth, literally MELTS. I don’t know where else you can find this, but you MUST try it if you’re a cheesecake lover and find yourself in Taiwan. The store can be found at the first level of the Taipei Main railway station. At 6 dollars a cake, there’s not reason to say no.
Uncle Tetsu, where have you been all my life?
This blog entry concludes some of the small eats (snacks) of Taiwan that I've really enjoyed. My one suggestion to you when visiting Taiwan? Wear stretchy pants. REALLY stretchy. And be prepared to overindulge.

Are you a big snacker or do you prefer large solid meals? Where have you really enjoyed an abundance of good food, literally just shops and shops of delicious munchies? What would you like to try from the foods that I've introduced on this blog entry?

No comments:

Post a Comment